The Via Matris or Way of the Mother is a set of seven stations each marking the seven sorrows of the Virgin Mary. At each station, silently reflect on Mary’s sorrow. After reflecting pray a Hail Mary and “Mother, Most Sorrowful, Pray for us.” This is a great meditation for sleepless nights or during pregnancy.
1. Simeon’s prophecy that a sword would pierce Mary’s soul
2. Joseph and Mary fleeing with Jesus into Egypt
3. Mary and Joseph searching for Jesus in the Temple
4. Mary meeting Jesus as he carries his cross on the way to Calvary
5. Jesus dying on the Cross
6. Mary receiving Jesus’ body in her arms
7. Jesus being laid in the tomb
After reflecting on all seven stations conclude with three Hail Marys.
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death. Amen.